- November 18, 2020 at 12:19 am #6619kahnyahParticipant
The 1970s and the Last Days of the Working Class
by Jefferson R. Cowie
- Release date: September 7, 2010
- Format: hardcover, 488 pages
- ISBN: 9781565848757 (1565848756)
- Publisher: The New Press
- Genres: history, politics, labor, economics, sociology, class, cultural, american
- Language: english
- Author: Jefferson R. Cowie
- Awards: Francis Parkman Prize (2011), J. Anthony Lukas Book Prize Nominee (2011), Merle Curti Award for Social History (2011)
- Characters: Richard Nixon, Jimmy Carter, Ronald Reagan, Gerald Ford, Bruce Springsteen
About The Book
An epic account of how middle-class America hit the rocks in the political and economic upheavals of the 1970s, this wide-ranging cultural and political history rewrites the 1970s as the crucial, pivotal era of our time. Jefferson Cowie’s edgy and incisive book — part political intrigue, part labor history, with large doses of American musical, film, and TV lore — makes new sense of the 1970s as a crucial and poorly understood transition from New Deal America (with its large, optimistic middle class) to the widening economic inequalities, poverty, and dampened expectations of the 1980s and into the present.
Stayin’ Alive takes us from the factory floors of Ohio, Pittsburgh, and Detroit, to the Washington of Nixon, Ford, and Carter. Cowie also connects politics to culture, showing how the big screen and the jukebox can help us understand how America turned away from the radicalism of the 1960s and toward the patriotic promise of Ronald Reagan. Cowie makes unexpected connections between the secrets of the Nixon White House and the failings of George McGovern campaign; radicalism and the blue-collar backlash; the earthy twang of Merle Haggard’s country music and the falsetto highs of Saturday Night Fever. Like Jeff Perlstein’s acclaimed Nixonland, Stayin’ Alive moves beyond conventional understandings of the period and brilliantly plumbs it for insights into our current way of life.
Online Stayin’ Alive on Powells. Hardcover book Stayin’ Alive by Jefferson R. Cowie read iPad. FB2 ebook Stayin’ Alive buy. Paperback book Stayin’ Alive Jefferson R. Cowie download on PC on Dymocks. FictionBook ebook Stayin’ Alive read online.
MOBI Stayin’ Alive Jefferson R. Cowie for Kindle on Barnes & Noble. MP3 book Stayin’ Alive by Jefferson R. Cowie download for Android. EPUB ebook Stayin’ Alive buy cheap on Walmart. Hardback Stayin’ Alive on Book Depository. PDF book Stayin’ Alive by Jefferson R. Cowie read reader.
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.